Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Carnival!

It is Carnival season in Spain! Unlike Spain, the United States doesn't celebrate Carnival much, but many Americans would love Carnival. The US city of New Orleans is famous for its Mardi Gras party, a French-inspired celebration of Carnival, which includes a street party, a parade, and plenty of drinking and crazy costumes. Some American cities and bars host one-day or weekend Carnival events, but they are never as huge as the Spanish celebration.

This was my first time experiencing Spanish Carnival and I didn't realize that the celebration was so big. Throughout the week, I experienced Carnival in school and in different pueblos and cities across Andalucia. Carnival was incredibly fun! It will always be a great memory for me and I'm thankful for it.

On Friday, our school celebrated Carnival with a short play, songs and full costumes! After practicing all week, two teachers played the music while the older students sang for all of our school. It was a special and fun performance. I really loved the costumes! Here are photos from our celebration. Happy Carnival! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment